Up your butt and around the corner

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:05 am

What is the origin of the children's phrase "Up your butt and around the corner" and what does "around the corner" refer to?
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:20 am

I forgot to add to the above discussion that my name is Tony and I am from Pittsburgh, PA. This phrase my be regional and it also might have originated in the late 80's or early 90's as my twenty-something friends from Pittsburgh have heard of it. Any ideas?
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:34 am

.. as an opening salvo I am wondering if this is a spiced up version of a more genteel older phrase .. when I was a just a boy and would ask the interminable, "Where is" question of my Daddy he would reply, "It's/they're/she's/your mother's up the street and round the corner." .. this would serve to be a reminder to either mind my own business, go and look for it myself or the fact my Father did not know .. the relevant meaning being given by intonation, inflection and/or body language .. over to you Ken .. *smile* ..
Wizard of Oz, Australia. 25/11/03
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:49 am

I'm pretty sure I made the phrase "up your butt and around the corner." I started saying it a few weeks ago and it caught on quick. Oh yeah, and another thing, it is not just a childrens saying, I'm 23 years old.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC