the heebie jeebies

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

the heebie jeebies

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:20 am

Any ideas where that one comes from? I've done a bit of a search, but haven't found anything about its origin.

Thanks,
Kate in CT USA
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

the heebie jeebies

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:34 am

Ohhhhh BAD KATE.

I forgot to check the Word Detective! This is what he says:

HEEBIE-JEEBIES

[Q] At a recent party, I had occasion to use the phrase "Heebee Jeebees" to refer to something that gave me a "creepy" feeling. I was flummoxed when half the crowd was nonplussed! Actually, I was even more surprised when someone suggested that she thought the phrase was not in good taste because it was anti-Semitic! I am doubtful, but I'm PC enough to worry. -- Chris Kuhn, via the Internet.

[A] I, too, am surprised that half the folks at that party didn't know what "heebie-jeebies" (the usual spelling) are. What are they teaching in school these days, anyway? Nothing useful, apparently. To quote the Oxford English Dictionary, the "heebie-jeebies" are "a feeling of discomfort, apprehension, or depression; the 'jitters'; delirium tremens; also, formerly, a type of dance." Just like the "wim-wams," I'd say, except the dancing part.

As to your worries about "heebie-jeebies" possibly being an anti-Semitic slur, the answer is a somewhat qualified "no." The phrase "heebie-jeebies" was invented by Billy De Beck, a famous American comic strip artist of the 1920's, in his popular "Barney Google" strip in 1923. De Beck, by the way, also invented "hotsy-totsy" (a term of approval) and the wonderful "horsefeathers" (meaning "utter nonsense") in his strip. "Heebie-jeebies" must have caught the popular imagination immediately, since the dance of that name appeared a scant three years later, in 1926.

The invention of "heebie-jeebies" by De Beck was, without doubt, innocent of any racial or ethnic animosity. The only possible anti-Semitic interpretation of "heebie-jeebies" comes from its unfortunate resemblance to the slang term "hebe" (a cropping of "Hebrew"), which is indeed an anti-Jewish epithet. Whether you want to risk possible misunderstandings when you use "heebie-jeebies" is up to you, of course, but the truth of its innocent origin is its best defense.
Kate, ashamed in CT
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

the heebie jeebies

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:49 am

Interestingly... In the early 1980s a trio of British comedians produced an LP parodying various rock and pop artists of the day, headlined by the "Hee Bee Gee Bees", under whose name the record was released. Their Bee Gees spoof "Meaningless Songs In Very High Voices" actually entered the UK charts.

Simon Beck
London, UK
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC