Cover it with a laugh

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Cover it with a laugh

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:37 am

https://scontent.fsgn4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5F42C5F5

- Hi everybody! I Googled "on the low" but I found no results except one result from "urbandictionary.com". "On the low" means "to keep something a secret". Does "people throw a lot of hate and jealousy on the low and cover it with a laugh" mean "people hate and envy you secretly and laugh but cover their mouths with their hands so that you cannot see" in this case?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Cover it with a laugh

Post by BonnieL » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Is that Ed Sullivan?

Can't help with "on the low" except to guess, & I might guess wrong. But the 2nd part I know. When someone makes a racist or other insulting remark & you get angry, he will often laugh & say something like, "I'm joking!", or worse, "Can't you take a joke?" I hate those people. :evil:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:07 pm

I will hazard a guess that "on the low" is being used to mean "in a low-level manner", i.e. subtly or insidiously.

In essence, the meme is referring to a type of what is often nowadays termed "micro-aggressions", e.g. when white people cross the street to avoid passing a black person coming from the opposite direction; making the automatic assumption that a black person at a social or business function is a waiter; or not bothering to try to memorize the name of someone of a different ethnicity when being introduced to them.

In other words, the hostility is still there, but it is disguised in such a way that it can be plausibly denied or even not be noticed by anyone except its target.

(Pretending that an offensive remark is meant humorously is a form of disguise that is intended not only to camouflage the hostility, but to gaslight its victim. So it combines offensiveness with psychological manipulation.)

Of course, these micro-aggressions can be targeted at anyone the perpetrator does not like or accept, not just people of a different ethnicity.

Finally, just to clarify the meaning of "cover it with a laugh", what is meant is simply "disguise [their hate and jealousy] with a laugh". It doesn't mean "cover their face with their hands to hide the fact that they're laughing".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:53 pm

BonnieL and Erik : Thank you both so much for your answers. They really help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC