Do the roll call

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Do the roll call

Post by Stevenloan » Fri May 15, 2020 6:13 am

https://cdn.ecommercedns.uk/files/5/227 ... /image.jpg

A: (gives B the picture above)
B: My mother would do the roll call until she finally said the name of the one she wanted. She would even call the dog's name, too. We teased her about that for years. Miss you, Mom.

- Hi guys! I understand the meaning of "do the roll call". But what did the Mother do the roll call for in this situation? I really don't get it.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Do the roll call

Post by trolley » Fri May 15, 2020 6:41 am

Steve, it's not really a roll call, at least (probably) not in the way you understand it. It's a humorous anecdote about mothers of large families. They sometimes get the names confused with the faces, especially when excited or angry and just start listing off names when trying to single out one child. I had a fairly large family (of fairly large families) and my Grandma was famous for getting all of us kids mixed up...
"Now look what you have done, John...Tommy...Michael...Kevin...Patrick...Liam...Martin...or whoever!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 15, 2020 2:24 pm

Seven boys, huh? That sounds like quite the handful!

Kind of takes the edge off the admonishment when you have to run down a verbal drop-down list to identify the correct miscreant. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri May 15, 2020 3:30 pm

That was at Granny's house, when all the various cousins were there. Sometimes she'd even throw in random names, just to cover all the angles.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Fri May 15, 2020 4:08 pm

My mom would start with her 5 sisters before she got to me & my 2 sisters. I did worse - only 2 kids & on occasion would call one by the dog's name - along with my sisters' names. It doesn't help that both my kids have names starting with the K sound, as do both of my sisters & 1 niece.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 am

trolley, Erik and BonnieL : Thank you all very much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC