Hot weather

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Hot weather

Post by Stevenloan » Wed May 13, 2020 8:05 am

Hi everybody! What phrase or adjective do you use to say when the weather is so hot that the fat in your body wants to melt?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Hot weather

Post by trolley » Wed May 13, 2020 6:59 pm

That’s a unusual way to express it, Steve, but you get your point across. There is a huge list of expressions to describe feeling very hot. Many of them are similar to what you’ve said:
I’m cooking
I’m roasting, boiling, broiling, sizzling
I’m melting
Some of these might require more context to be clear. If you were to tell me you were cooking, while we were standing in the kitchen, I wouldn’t necessarily think you were hot. If you said that while we were standing on the beach under a blazing sun…I would. Not all cooking expressions work to describe feeling uncomfortably hot. If you said you were steaming, I’d probably think you were very angry. If you said you were simmering…I’d think you were somewhat less angry.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Hot weather

Post by Stevenloan » Thu May 14, 2020 2:08 am

trolley : Thank you so much for the list of expressions. It is a big help. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC