Hanger

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Hanger

Post by Stevenloan » Fri May 08, 2020 9:46 am

Hi guys! I couldn't access this forum for the past few days and I didn't know why. Was it being maintained?

A: How does John Travolta manage to have an airplane at his house? I am not questioning the affordability aspect of it; I'm sure he can afford it. And I am sure he can have big enough land for a runway. But there seems so many potential issues.

B: My sister spends Summers at a golf/equestrian neighborhood with a 4600 foot long private landing strip. Weekends, it's lined with King Airs. Too bad my sister's personal Learjet is too fast to safely fly into the mountainous neighborhood. She has to fly 30 miles away where she keeps a car in a hanger.

- According to an online dictionary "hanger" means "1. a curved piece of wire, wood, or plastic on which clothes are hung while they are being stored", "2. a frame of wire, wood, or plastic on which clothes are hung to keep them neat when you are not wearing them". Which meaning does it belong to in this case?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Hanger

Post by trolley » Fri May 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Steve, that is a spelling error (or a typo). It is spelt "hangar" and is a large building for storing airplanes, similar to a garage for storing cars.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Hanger

Post by Stevenloan » Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 pm

trolley : Thank you so much for the clarification.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC