Flying through the letter box

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Flying through the letter box

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:41 pm

A: The government will pay 80% of wages for employees not working, up to £2,500 a month, Chancellor Rishi Sunak says. He says the economic intervention he is announcing is unprecedented but necessary to save lives during the Coronavirus pandemic.

B: What about people who haven’t worked in years and don’t intend to any time soon, normally the payments are flying through the letter box.

- Hi guys! I really don't get the part "payments are flying through the letter box.". What does it mean in this situation?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Flying through the letter box

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:27 pm

I have no idea what Person B is referring to. Maybe they meant to say "the bills are flying through the letter box", but it would still be a complete non sequitur lacking any connection with what Person A said.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 pm

I understand it as a rather unpleasant comment about the long-term unemployed. The writer is suggesting that they do nothing and have no intention of doing anything and yet the government is still paying them large amounts of various benefit payments very often (the payments are "flying" through the letter box).

The reality is rather different. An acquaintance of mine has severe lung disease and has been told by a doctor that he must not work. The agency that assesses benefit claims on the other hand has stated that he is fit to work and he receives £72 per week in Job Seeker's Allowance. Nothing else at all. From that, he has to pay all his bills and still have money left over to buy food.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Erik and Phil White : Thank you both so much for your help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC