League

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

League

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:45 am

Chrissy Teigen unleashed on First Lady Melania Trump over what she suggested has been her lack of response to the coronavirus outbreak.

"Has melania even thought about doing something with her be best s--- during these times?" Teigen began a profanity-laced Twitter thread on Tuesday. "I see regular a-- awesome people on my timeline all day doing all they can to make people happy and this wifebot is working on whatever the f--- a tennis gazebo is."

- Hi everybody! Is it correct to say "When it comes to class, beauty and dignity, Teigen is out of Melania's league." in this situation? I'm asking because the phrase "out of one's league" is usually applied to romantic partners who are more attractive.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: League

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:39 am

The phrase is indeed often used in that context, but it can be applied more generally too.

I suspect the term originated in sports, where groups of teams of roughly similar ability are often organized as a hierarchy of leagues.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: League

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:05 am

Erik : Thank you so much for your answer. It really helps.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC