Charge way

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Charge way

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:39 pm

Fox News : The Tennessee brothers who tried to capitalize on the coronavirus outbreak by stockpiling nearly 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer with the intent to resell the goods at marked-up prices have now had their stash cleaned out.

Facebooker : It was Ill intent to buy up all the sanitizers and profit off each one in tine of need. How is this different than gas stations artificially raising prices or convenient stores charging way for water. It was wrong.

- Hi guys! I couldn't find the meaning of "charge way" online. Could you please let me know what it means in this case? The Facebooker is from Florida.

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Charge way

Post by trolley » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:45 pm

That's probably not the guy you want to be learning from. It should be "time of need", not "tine of need". Although the store he refers to may well be "convenient", I suspect he really means "convenience store". As far as your original question, he may have just fallen asleep in mid-sentence or simply forgot the last couple of words. He probably intended to say "charging way too much", or something similar.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Trolley's right.

I suppose the "tine of need" is where you find yourself when you've been forced to fork out over the odds.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 am

trolley and Erik : Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC