Across the desk

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Across the desk

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:03 pm

- Hi everybody! Is it correct to say "The woman is laying across the desk for a rest." in this picture?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Last edited by Stevenloan on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Across the desk

Post by trolley » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:53 pm

I can't see the picture...but your description conjures up some odd images.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:06 pm

https://www.tienphong.vn/suc-khoe/biet- ... 400627.tpo (the first picture, the woman in the white shirt).

- trolley and other members : Over 10 hours ago I posted a link to the picture, it really worked but I have just checked it again, it didn't work. I don't know why. Here is a similar picture. I hope it works this time.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:07 pm

If I was asked to describe what is happening in the photo, I would say "The woman has fallen asleep at her desk" or "The woman is asleep at her desk".

If I particularly wanted to emphasize her posture, I would say "The woman is lying [asleep] across her desk".

The form "laying" is also often used, especially in the US (where from observation I would say that it is more common than the "lying" form), and especially in speech. Nevertheless, old-fashioned grammarians frown on it despite the fact that it is de facto now standard usage (and has been so for decades, if not centuries).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 am

Erik : Thank you so much for your answer and the extra information you provide. They are genuinely useful. Have a nice day, Erik.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:51 pm

How about "she has her head down."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 pm

BonnieL : Thanks for your version.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC