First gear

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

First gear

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:08 pm

The New York Times : Until recently European auto executives regarded Tesla with something like bemusement. They are not laughing anymore. Almost overnight, the Tesla Model 3 has become one of the best-selling cars in Europe.

Facebooker 1 : I have no idea why..they are not comfortable!

Facebooker 2 : And the quality is really crap. Coming from BMW a Tesla will never ever satisfy you. BMW is coming up with the i4 as a direct competitor. Then we will see who's daddy.

Facebooker 3 : Facebooker 2, still over a year away, at least. By then Tesla will have sold more Model 3's than probably every other manufacturer's electric fleets combined. I was just at a car show a couple weeks ago where all the manufacturers had their fleets on display and only a couple even bothered bringing their electric models. BMW didn't. And most were dismissive of them. Because electric cars still represent such a tiny portion of sales for the major car makers, they are making the mistake of thinking they should receive comparable priority. By the time they realize the market has shifted, they will already be years behind. I'd love to see the other established car makers get serious about electric but so far they are all stuck in first gear.

- Hi everybody! Does "they are all stuck in first gear" in this situation mean "they aren't performing as planned" or "their electric cars aren't nearly as amazing as Tesla's"?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Last edited by Stevenloan on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: First gear

Post by trolley » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:26 pm

It means that the other manufacturers are not as advanced as Tesla (with regards to electric cars). Think of "first gear" as a starting point or as moving forward quite slowly. Although electric vehicles have been around in some form or other since the late 1800s, Tesla was really the pioneer of the modern electric car. They have had a "highway capable", mass-produced electric car available for about 15 years. They got out of "first gear" long ago. Everyone else is now trying to catch up.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: First gear

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 am

trolley : Your answer is fantastic and super easy to understand. Thank you very much.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC