It gets the lungs

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

It gets the lungs

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:48 am

Dailymail.com : Shows a video of a fat woman snatching a big bag of toilet paper from a man in a supermarket in Australia.

Facebooker : What the hell you need TP for? It gets the lungs.

- Hi everyone! I couldn’t find the meaning of “It gets the lungs” online. What does it mean in this situation?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: It gets the lungs

Post by trolley » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:45 pm

I suppose the situation occurred as a result of all the "panic-buying" around COVID 19. The Facebooker is commenting that the virus attacks the lungs and not the digestive system so why is she stocking up on toilet tissue. I had the same thought as I was at Costco the other day and witnessed people wheeling out flat-deck trollies, piled high with bales of TP.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:53 am

I'm glad you worked it out, trolley! I had no idea what the writer was on about!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:15 pm

I read somewhere that the panic buying is a response to feeling one has no control. Buying a large amount of toilet paper is one way to feel in control, even if it isn't logical.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 am

trolley : Thank you so much for your answer. Phil White and BonnieL : Thank you both for your input.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:31 pm

It is all an illiterate misunderstanding. The virus is spread by aerosol, not arsehole.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm

That must explain the new habit some people now have of bumping their elbows together as a form of greeting. They obviously can't tell their aerosol from their elbow.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 pm

Sadly, there are plenty of arseholes potentially spreading in around in my province by refusing to follow some basic common-sense precautions.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC