Passes by without touching

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Passes by without touching

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:49 am

A: President Trump and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi took jibes at each other's faith the day after his acquittal in the impeachment proceedings.

B: Ok. Ok. I give in. He’s the best president America’s ever had. He’ll be re-elected in November. He’s won his battles this past few years. He is as honest as the day is long. He can do no wrong. He is the messiah. He’s growing on me like a fungus, and I’m worn down . He wins. The rest of the world is wrong. Trump for president again in 20/20. Great man. Best president ever. I’m officially indoctrinated. Maga. As we say in Scotland.....” Ah gie in!!”

C: Marie Jo McCrossan! LOL the entire world is wrong and you are right, LMAO you know that’s a classic symptom of Borderline personality disorder Marie Jo, if that’s your real name lol, Probably Trump behind a fake profile lol.

B: Joe Walstrum! Sometimes the Scottish sense of humour passes by without touching a hair on your head.

- Hi guys! Does “passes by without touching a hair on your head” have a literal meaning or a figurative meaning in this case?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Passes by without touching

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:15 pm

It can't be a literal meaning, because a sense of humour is not a physical object or even a visible phenomenon.

There's a common remark in English that people may make when they fail to understand something somebody else said, especially if it was an obscure reference of some kind: "That went right over my head!"

Or a person who can see that what they said was not understood might say, "I can see that went right over your head!"

On social media, the expression is often succinctly alluded to with "Whoosh!" (to represent the rushing sound of a fast-moving object flying past the ears).

Similarly, "passes by without touching a hair on your head" is another way of referencing or paraphrasing that trope.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:26 pm

Incidentally, I notice that there's an eggcorn in Speaker A's statement:

A: President Trump and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi took jibes at each other's faith the day after his acquittal in the impeachment proceedings.

They should have said took jabs (a jab being a punch, especially in boxing); a jibe is a taunt or mocking remark. (However, they could have made jibes.)

I'm not sure what Speaker A had in mind when he referred to each other's faith.

Having by now lost all that might still have remained of my own faith in America's so-called democratic process, I did not bother to watch the interviews of Pelosi and Trump criticising each other after Trump was acquitted. (I assume Trump was invoking his supposed Christian mission and Pelosi was mocking that assertion, but I am open to correction.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:41 am

From vocabulary.com:

an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect

Synonyms:
barb, dig, gibe, shaft, shot, slam

Types:
cheap shot
an unnecessarily aggressive and unfair remark directed at a defenseless person

Type of:
comment, input, remark
a statement that expresses a personal opinion or belief or adds information

As for the faith thing, Trump & Pelosi had a "I'm holier than thou" exchange a while ago. Very stupid.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Erik and BonnieL : Thank you both very much for your answers. They are really helpful.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC