the early days with

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

the early days with

Post by navi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:10 pm

1) In the early days without proper equipment, our work took a lot longer.

2) Our work took a lot longer in the early days without proper equipment.

In which case:
a) There were the early days without the proper equipment and then the later days without the proper equipment
and in which case:
b) We didn't have proper equipment in the early days and then we got proper equipment (The early days were the period of time when we didn't have proper equipment)

==========================================

3) In the early days with these new computers, we were a little lost and confused.

4) We were a little lost and confused in the early days with these new computers.

In which case:
c) There were the early days with these new computers and then the later days with these new computers (compare with:
In the early days with your mother, we never talked about such things.)
and in which case:
d) The early days were the period when we had these new computers (This wouldn't make much sense. It seems as if the 'early days' end when someone takes away our new computers)

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: the early days with

Post by Phil White » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:32 pm

You ignore the possibility of there being early days when we didn't have proper equipment and early days when we did have proper equipment as well as later days (when we may or may not have had proper equipment). It could well be important to distinguish between the early early days and the later early days.

At the risk of repeating myself, saying the same thing over and over again, revisiting essentially the same problem and reformulating what I have formulated many times before, if you present sentences using "shorthand syntax" which are intended by yourself to be ambiguous, I will say that they are ambiguous and that any such ambiguity will only be removed by a look at the pragmatics of the discourse. There being no discourse to refer to with these artificial sentences, the ambiguities cannot be resolved.

Give me real sentences, spoken or written by real people in real contexts, and give me that context as well, and I will look at them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: the early days with

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Phil White wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:32 pm
Give me real sentences, spoken or written by real people in real contexts, and give me that context as well, and I will look at them.
Amen.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC