Kind of motorbike

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Kind of motorbike

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi guys! The kind of motorbike in the first picture is a scooter. What do you call the kind of motorbike in the second picture (You can gear up and gear down)?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Kind of motorbike

Post by trolley » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm not sure what they call that second one, Steve. The lines seemed to have blurred in recent years. Around here, people would not refer to a motorized scooter as a motor bike (motorcycle). Although a scooter is, by definition, a motor bike (cycle), the term motor bike is usually used to describe a two-wheeled motorized vehicle that is not a scooter. Harley Davidson, Indian, Triumph, Norton...those were motor bikes. They had larger (exposed) engines, larger wheels, and you rode astride them, similar to the way you sit on a horse. You mounted them by swinging your leg over the back (like mounting a horse) and your feet rested on footpegs on either side of the bike. A scooter had small wheels, small engines and a "step-through" between the seat and the front wheel (where the gas tank is on a motorcycle) You sat on them with your legs facing forward (like sitting on a chair) and you feet rested on a floorboard platform. Your second photo seems to be some sort of hybrid with characteristics of both. It has a (smallish) step-through for mounting like a scooter, but has foot-pegs, like a motorcycle. The wheels appear to be motorcycle wheels, it has a manual, foot-operated gear shift, like a motorcycle, but the engine is mostly enclosed by fibre-glass cowling like a scooter...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:21 am

The second motorcycle is a Honda Wave Alpha (2019), which has a small (109 c.c.) engine. It also has fairings in front of where the rider's legs would be positioned. This combination of characteristics leads me to suggest that the best generic description of the vehicle is commuter bike.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:03 am

trolley and Erik : Thank you both so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 am

I think that I would call it a moped. I know that technically a moped is a "Motor Assisted Pedal Cycle", but I am not even sure such contraptions are still made, but those light bikes fill the gap very well.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 am

Bob : Thanks so much for your answer.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC