A rural area

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A rural area

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:48 am

Hi everybody! What do you call a woman or a man who behaves, talks and is dressed like a person who lives in a rural area?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A rural area

Post by trolley » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Hick, bumpkin, hillbilly, redneck, yokel, hayseed, sod-buster. Be careful using these terms, Steve. They are all derogatory (to varying degrees) and imply that the person is poorly educated, unsophisticated or lacking in social graces. I'm struggling to come up with a term that is not an insult.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm

trolley wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:00 pm
I'm struggling to come up with a term that is not an insult.
I suggest country-dweller.

Another rather derogatory term is rustic, as is peasant.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:16 pm

trolley and Erik : Thank you both so much for the terms. They are extremely helpful.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:28 pm

trolley wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Hick, bumpkin, hillbilly, redneck, yokel, hayseed, sod-buster. Be careful using these terms, Steve. They are all derogatory (to varying degrees) and imply that the person is poorly educated, unsophisticated or lacking in social graces. I'm struggling to come up with a term that is not an insult.
These can be used to describe oneself, but not someone else. Redneck is popular in rural areas - lots of country songs are about rednecks. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:07 am

Very true, Bonnie. That whole “ I can call myself XXX and my friends can call me XXX, but not everyone can call me XXX without insulting me” thing would be difficult to explain, though. I live on acreage in a pretty rural area of Vancouver Island. I’m sure that a lot of folks I know consider me a bit of a redneck…I do, too. From anyone outside that circle, it could be taken as an insult.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi guys! Is "Bogan" also as offensive as "Hick, bumpkin, hillbilly, redneck, yokel, hayseed, sod-buster"?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Oxford Dictionaries (now incarnated as Lexico) says:

"informal, derogatory - Australian, New Zealand
An uncouth or unsophisticated person regarded as being of low social status."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Erik : Thanks a lot for your answer.

StevenLoan