for instance

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

for instance

Post by navi » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:02 am

Which are correct:

1) We are going to watch some movies in class during the course. I am planning to watch some additional movies on my own as well, for instance Antonioni's "L'Aventura".

2) We are going to watch some movies in class during the course. I am planning to watch some additional movies on my own as well, like Antonioni's "L'Aventura".

3) We are going to watch some movies in class during the course. I am planning to watch some additional movies, for instance Antonioni's "L'Aventura", on my own as well.

4) We are going to watch some movies in class during the course. I am planning to watch some additional movies, like Antonioni's "L'Aventura", on my own as well.

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: for instance

Post by Manders » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Is this a trick question? I feel like at least two of the answers are correct.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: for instance

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 am

1) and 2) are both fine as they stand, and have the same meaning.

Shifting "on my own as well" in 3) and 4) to the end of the sentence is clumsy because it separates that qualification from the activity it describes.

Incidentally, there's a spelling mistake: it should be "L'Avventura", not "L'Aventura".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC