Juicy hamburgers

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Juicy hamburgers

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Waiter: Would you care for some snails?
Customer: No, I don't think so. Please bring me a nice juicy hamburger with a large Pepsi.

Hi guys! According to an online dictionary "Juicy foods contain a lot of juice and are enjoyable to eat". I still don't get why a customer orders "a juicy hamburger". It sounds weird to me because "juice means the liquid obtained from or present in fruit or vegetables". As far as I know, hamburgers in my city are always 80% dry and 20% melting cheese, do not have juice inside.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Juicy hamburgers

Post by trolley » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:17 pm

A juicy burger refers to a burger that is not all dried out. Most of the "juice" is rendered fat (fat=flavour) and a bit of blood. Most of the restaurant burgers you get here in Canada, now, have been cooked to hell because of the (real) fear of E Coli. A few years ago you could order your burger rare or mid-rare just like a steak. Not so, anymore. Usually when something is described as "juicy", it is a compliment or a desirable trait.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Yes. Trolley is quite correct. If you read recipes for cooking meat dishes, you will often see references to the "juices" or "meat juices", which are often used as the basis for a gravy or sauce for the dish you are cooking.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:46 am

trolley and Phil White : Thanks a lot for your answers. They are very helpful.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC