Bad seed

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bad seed

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:35 pm

A: FedEx is pulling the plug on Amazon deliveries, effectively ending domestic ties with the largest US retailer, the company said.
B: I've never had FedEx delivery issues. I got a good guy, very reliable. There's a bad seed in every apple, can't speak for all of them.

Hi everyone! I checked the meaning of "There's a bad seed in every apple" online but I found no results. What does it mean in this situation?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Bad seed

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:31 pm

The reason you couldn't find that term is that it is not an established idiom. The proverb the person who used the phrase was probably grappling for (and failing to remember correctly) was "There's a bad apple in every barrel", meaning (in this context) "Even a well-run/ethical organization will have some people working in it who are corrupt".

(The saying also exists in other variants, e.g. "One bad apple spoils the barrel" and "There's a rotten apple in every barrel".)

There is the related notion of the "bad seed", a chiefly American term which Merriam-Webster defines as "a person who is dishonest, evil, or unprincipled by nature : an innately bad person".

"There's a bad seed in every apple" appears to be the product of conflating these two expressions.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Bad seed

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am

Erik : Thank you so much for your answer. It's very easy to understand.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC