Protest

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Protest

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi everybody! What common idioms do you use to describe when someone is really angry and protests fiercely about something?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Protest

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm

What is the scenario? At home? At Work? Outside the presidential place? In a restaurant or shop?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 am

tony h : Thanks for asking. The scenario is at a shop.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:47 am

You might {cause / create / make} a scene, or make a [real] {fuss / nuisance of yourself}. In Britain (but not the USA, I think), you could also go ballistic. Or you could just complain loudly.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:27 am

The challenge for the English is that they don't really get loud about complaining. We always imagine Americans are much more exuberant in their emotions. We tend to be quiet and firm. So phrases like "created a scene", "created a bit of a fuss", "raised voices" are all useful.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:36 pm

tony h wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:27 am
We always imagine Americans are much more exuberant in their emotions
Good point. I should have included shoot {the place up / anything that moves / everyone {in sight / within range}} and indiscriminately open fire.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:27 am

Erik and tony h : Thank you both so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Lolhard » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:46 am

Depending on the amount of protest, one might "rage against" something, or "rage out"

I'm not sure how idiomatic "rage" by itself is, but I feel that "rage" or "raging" is particularly appropriate in the connect of describing the discontent of someone in protest.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC