Vibes

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Vibes

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:58 pm

"What originally drew me to visiting Essential Sleep was that they offered non-toxic (i.e. non-offgassing) options. The owners, Diane and Chip were both in the store at the time and were so kind (and low-pressure -no 'car salesmen' vibes at this family business) and informative about all the various options they carry."

- Hi everybody! I understand the meaning of "car", "salesmen" and "vibes" when they stand alone but I don't understand when they go together in this short paragraph. What does "no 'car salesmen' vibes" mean in this case?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Vibes

Post by trolley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Car salesmen (and other salespeople who work on commission, rather than salary) have a reputation for using "highpressure" sales tactics.They may exaggerate the quality of their product, make statements that are not entirely true, or use other unethical devices in order to make a sale.This was not the case at Essential Sleep. At least, the person speaking did not feel that was the case... maybe these salespeople were just so good at it that they didn't notice. They may have still gone home with an 8000 dollar mattress...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Vibes

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 am

trolley : Thank you very much for your terrific explanation. I understand it now.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC