after the time

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

after the time

Post by azz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:31 am

a. I used to have a good relationship with him, but after, when I realized he was not a reliable person, I broke all ties with him.
b. I used to have a good relationship with him, but after I realized he was not a reliable person, I broke all ties with him.
c. I used to have a good relationship with him, but after when I realized he was not a reliable person, I broke all ties with him.

Do (a) and (c) work?

I don't know if 'after' works in (a). I think it does, but 'afterwards' and 'later' would be more natural.

I don't know if (c) works at all. 'After when' sounds strange, but it could be interpreted as 'after the time when I realized...'

Many thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: after the time

Post by trolley » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:24 am

I think that "after" works in (a). It seems like an acceptable substitute for "later'. Example (b) sounds fine. That's probably how I'd expect most people to exress that idea. I think (c) is a swing and a miss.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC