Leave the flip-flops behind

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Leave the flip-flops behind

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:24 am

"The nouveau riche gather at Chill Sky Bar, where cocktails conceived by the mixologist Le Thanh Tung are shaken at an illuminated outdoor bar, while 23rd-floor Shri is stylishly subdued. Intimate tables on the terrace are surrounded by potted frangipanis and the occasional songbird. Book ahead and leave the flip-flops behind."

- Hi everyone! I guess "leave the flip-flops behind" has a figurative meaning in this situation, is it correct? If yes, please let me know what the phrase means in this case.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Leave the flip-flops behind

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:42 am

It means "dress smartly, not casually".

In the West, flip-flops are generally associated with use in the home or on the beach, and with people who can't afford better footwear. The nouveaux riches tend not to like to be reminded of their humble social origins, so I presume that many of them prefer to avoid mixing with anyone whose appearance of poverty might reduce their self-perceived social status in their own or other people's eyes. The Chill Sky Bar might even be operating a restrictive dress code in order to pander to this form of customer snobbery.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Leave the flip-flops behind

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:04 am

Erik : Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer. It really helps.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC