Getting better from a sickness

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Getting better from a sickness

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:47 am

Hi everybody! What common idiom or common phrase do you use to describe someone who is in the process of feeling better or getting better from a sickness?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Getting better from a sickness

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 pm

The process is known as recuperation, recovery or convalescence. The corresponding verbs are recuperate, recover and convalesce.

A person who is undergoing this process is a convalescent, or perhaps a recovering patient.

Colloquially, they could be said to be on the mend, doing better, or on the road to recovery.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:09 pm

People also talk about “beating” a disease or illness or “winning” against it. The idea here is that they have been victorious in a battle. Someone can be said to have “beaten cancer” if they go into remission or live a long life despite a poor prognosis. It can also apply to less serious maladies.
“That’s a nasty cold you have.”
“Yes, I’ve been fighting it for weeks but I think I’m winning”
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:02 am

Erik and trolley : Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC