Bale out / bail out

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bale out / bail out

Post by Phil White » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:41 am

Without looking it up, which spelling would you use for making an emergency exit from an aeroplane (or a political party) with a parachute?

And which spelling would you use for rescuing a company with a financial package?

Answers first, then you can look it up...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Bale out / bail out

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 pm

"Anyone who thinks I'm about to leap out of this plane is highly mistaken!" said Tom balefully.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm in the "bail" camp for jumping out of plane, helping out a company, getting someone out of jail or emptying a leaky boat... unless I was bundling them up into a nice, tight cube first...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:09 pm

It seems that British Paratroopers can "bale" out of airplanes aeroplanes. Also, I was sure that a wire handle (like the one on a bucket) or a wire bar for holding something down was a "bale". In the handle sense, I can only find "bail". That bar on an old typewriter that holds the paper against the roller seems to go by both bale and bail but the (very similar) mechanism on a fishing reel is only ever referred to as a "bail". James Lipton says a group of turtles is called a "bale". When I imagine a bale of turtles, I picture something a little more disturbing.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 pm

Ok.

From an aeroplane:
- bale - pushing people out
- bail - getting yourself out

A company:
- mostly bail.
- bale to sever a company from a parent(ish) company. Either for that company to be the survivor or to sever liabilities liabilities.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC