Palace traditions

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Palace traditions

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:34 am

"(CNN) Whether you're a common citizen or the President or first lady of the United States, an audience with the Queen of England is a big deal. But when you're as glamorous and mysterious as the current US first lady, the pressure is even more so.

As such, all eyes will be on Melania Trump as she navigates the often tricky waters of palace traditions, royalty and impressing one of the longest reigning monarchs in modern history."

- Hi everyone! I understand the meaning of "navigate", tricky", "waters", "palace" and "traditions", but when they go together in this case, I really don't know what they mean. Could you please tell me what "she navigates the often tricky waters of palace traditions" mean in this situation?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Palace traditions

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm

"All eyes will be on Melania Trump as she navigates the often tricky waters of palace traditions"

can be paraphrased as

"Everyone will be scrutinizing Melania Trump as she tries to find her way through the maze of royal protocol, which is often difficult to do successfully"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am

Erik : Thank you so much. The definition you provided is very easy to understand.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:28 pm

The key part is, I suspect, the meaning of "navigate tricky waters". In the literal meaning it is "to make a route through waters which has obstacles and currents that may ground or turn over the boat".
So in this case the "tricky waters" are palace protocol. And the whole problem is how to make sure you don't get protocol wrong.

A classic case of getting it wrong was President Obama. He managed to find himself speaking just as the National Anthem started playing and then carried on speaking.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:19 am

tony h : Thanks very much for your answer and the information about President Obama.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC