Hit a triple

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Hit a triple

Post by Stevenloan » Sun May 05, 2019 4:01 am

Someone: Didn't you get into Stanford because your family is rich?
A girl: It wasn't like that. I tested into Stanford through my own hard work.

- Hi everybody! This conversation is about an American admissions scandal I found on The New York Times. A man commented "Born on third base. Thinks she hit a triple.". "Third base" is slang for intimate contact, a baseball metaphor for sex. What did the man mean when he said "Born on third base. Thinks she hit a triple."?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Hit a triple

Post by trolley » Sun May 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Steve, in this case they are not using the baseball metaphor in reference to sex. Third base refers to the idea that you have "almost made it", almost acheived your goal. In the sexual definition, first base would be kissing, second would be intimate touching (clothed), third would be intimate skin to skin contact and a home run would be full sexual intercourse. In your quote, third base still has that "almost there" idea. You are in a good position to score a home run (achieve something good) but you haven't actually "earned" that position. "She was born on third base but thought she hit a triple" means that she was rich or lucky enough to have been born in that position but either thinks or claims that she got there through her own hard work or skill ( making a 3 base hit)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun May 05, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks John. I didn't understand it either.
This was the Wales/England game in 1980.
It may help explain why I was baffled. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Tue May 07, 2019 1:32 am

trolley : Thanks a lot for your answer. It really helps.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC