Parking lot

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Parking lot

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:33 am

Hi everyone! Do you also call this "a parking lot"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Parking lot

Post by trolley » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:33 am

I wouldn't. I consider a "lot" to be a parcel of land. A parking lot is a ground level area with designated "stalls" for parking. In Canada a muti-story parking garage is a "parkade", but that one in the photo would require a little more description (or another name). Wikipedia calls it an APS (automated parking system) and offers up these alternatives:

APS are also generically known by a variety of other names, including: automated parking facility (APF), automated vehicle storage and retrieval system (AVSRS), car parking system, mechanical parking, and robotic parking garage.

There's probably a catchier name than those, but I've never had need to call them anything...it's not something you see in my neighbourhood.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am

This looks like the VW centre. They call them "car towers".

https://youtu.be/JjEn-jseN_Q
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:51 am

trolley : Thanks very much for your answer. tony h : Thanks so much for the link.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:37 am

Just for the record Steve, we don't have parking lots in the UK, we have car parks. And your photograph shows a multi storey contraption.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:00 am

Bob: Thanks very much for the true facts and the term.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:20 pm

I know I've seen this in some science fiction movie! It's the location where the good guys are climbing the side of the wall, or the center pole, or crossing the span of the tower to try to destroy/reach/absorb the evil/final/life-saving power source/bio-pod/magic key before the bad guys annihilate them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC