A litre of petrol

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A litre of petrol

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:45 am

Hi everybody! I'd like to ask my brother how many kilometers his motorbike or his car can run with a consumption of a liter of pertrol. Is the following question used correctly in this situation?

"How many kilometers can your motorbike/car run with a litre of petrol?"

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A litre of petrol

Post by tony h » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:08 pm

We would normally say miles per gallon and usually just M P G. I think KPL would be used as well, although I have often seen K/100Lt.

So asfor phrases:
- yours is understandable but not standard English like what she is spoke :)
- (looking at the car) What does she do?
- What's the mpg?
- How far does she go on a tank?
(you will have noticed that machines are inevitable "she". They look good, work hard and men spend a lot of money on them even if they are unreliable.)
- Your bike, what's the fuel consumption?
- Your bike, do you know what it does to the litre?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:13 pm

"How many kilometers {does your motorbike/car / do you} {do / get} {on a / to a / per} litre of petrol?"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:25 pm

tony h and Erik: The versions you provided are amazing. I really like them. Thank you both very much for your help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 pm

tony h wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:08 pm
you will have noticed that machines are inevitable "she". They look good, work hard and men spend a lot of money on them even if they are unreliable.
I wonder if that depends on the owner. I've had a lot of cars (I tend to buy losers), most of whom were male. I've had only 1 car that was female. Some have been neither male or female. At the moment we have 1 male car (Mel - short for Mellow Yellow) & 1 neuter - Toyota. It's never had enough personality to warrant a name. Tho my very favorite car never had a name - but I often called it Baby when I was encouraging it to make it up hills. Tiny Hondas don't have a lot of power.

Someone needs to do a poll on this important question. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:53 am

BonnieL : Thanks a lot for your post. :)

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 pm

My current car is female, named Rhonda C-Max Tardigrade, and I pray she (and I) will withstand all extreme conditions in the coming years.
Had a sedan named "Redbird" -- definitely male.

Let's see, tony h, you mention that machines are inevitably "she" because . . . because . . . hmm -- because why?
Because men would be absolutely lost without them.
Because men will fight to the death before they will let the machines take over.
Because a machine will keep on working while everyone else watches TV or takes a nap.
Because as soon as a machine gets a little old, worn, or rusty, it gets traded in for a newer model.
I could go on . . .

(Tony h, I have complete trust that you will read the above in the humorous spirit with which it is intended. As you know, gender wars are among my favorite games to play!)

Cheers, all!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Because, like a big old diesel engine, they keep on grumbling after you switch them off ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I3qREbKqLw
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 pm

Hah! That was great, Phil, thanks for the laugh.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC