Lots of cigarettes

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Lots of cigarettes

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am

Hi everybody! Is there an idiomatic way or a common term to describe a woman or a man who smokes lots of cigarettes a day?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Lots of cigarettes

Post by tony h » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am

He is a human chimney.
A chain smoker. ie he starts the next cigarette from the one he is just finishing.
A twenty a day man. (Or insert a suitable number).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 pm

"He smokes like a chimney", although I don't hear this so much nowadays. Either because fewer people smoke or because fewer people have dirty coal fires.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:52 pm

With cigarette prices being what they are in the UK, I would have thought a good a good description would be, "Skint"!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:53 pm

tony h, Phil White and Bob : Thank you guys so much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 pm

tony h wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am
A twenty a day man.
We usually called ourselves, "pack-a-day" smokers, or (horrors!) "two- or three-packs-a-day." Cigarettes came twenty to a pack, so the result is the same. I was a pack-a-day smoker, off and on, until, thankfully, I quit for good -- almost twenty-five years ago.

Stevenloan, I know your question has been answered sufficiently, but I wanted to add my two cents. (I remember when that's how much a cigarette cost!)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Shelley wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 pm
... but I wanted to add my two cents. (I remember when that's how much a cigarette cost!)
And I remember the days in the UK when a tobacconist would split a pack and sell single cigarettes ... and when you could buy a pack of five Park Drive.

I gave up my twenty-a-day habit last year and have become entirely civilized, if eccentric, and now smoke a pipe, to the great amusement of most who see me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 am

Phil White wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

I gave up my twenty-a-day habit last year and have become entirely civilized, if eccentric, and now smoke a pipe, to the great amusement of most who see me.
I miss the opportunity to smoke a pipe, it ws a great aid to managing the rate of conversation to the leisurely pace of my thinking. Conversation is all too nippy these days.

So what type of pipe does Phil keep I wonder? Or does he have a collection?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:05 pm

tony h wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 am
I had naively assumed that if one started smoking a pipe, one became a pipe-smoker. In fact, one becomes a pipe-collector. One has morning pipes, afternoon pipes, evening pipes, walking-the-dog pipes, just-in-case-I-have-a-few-minutes-after-the-meeting pipes, Virginia tobacco pipes, English blend pipes, Latakia pipes, Lakeland blend pipes, bent, thoughtful pipes, straight, stern pipes, churchwarden pipes and any combination thereof.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Phil White wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:05 pm
tony h wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 am
I had naively assumed that if one started smoking a pipe, one became a pipe-smoker. In fact, one becomes a pipe-collector. One has morning pipes, afternoon pipes, evening pipes, walking-the-dog pipes, just-in-case-I-have-a-few-minutes-after-the-meeting pipes, Virginia tobacco pipes, English blend pipes, Latakia pipes, Lakeland blend pipes, bent, thoughtful pipes, straight, stern pipes, churchwarden pipes and any combination thereof.
and then there are the pipe cupboards, spill holders, cleaners, reamers, pipe lighters (the Nimrod is a favourite).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:45 am

Shelley : Thanks so much for the terms. They are wonderful.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 am

Shelley wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 pm
tony h wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am
A twenty a day man.
We usually called ourselves, "pack-a-day" smokers, or (horrors!) "two- or three-packs-a-day." Cigarettes came twenty to a pack, so the result is the same. I was a pack-a-day smoker, off and on, until, thankfully, I quit for good -- almost twenty-five years ago.
Congratulations! I was a 2-pack-a-day smoker for 20 years, and quit about 26 or 27 years ago. I should have written it down, but I was afraid of jinxing my effort. I'm glad I quit. Not just because I'm in better health, but because I'd never be able to afford them now.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:31 pm

I smoked 20 a day for most of my life but then I met Margaret in 2002. She is an ex-smoker, and that was then end of me as a smoker.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC