A negative affect

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A negative affect

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 am

"People love to start rumors about celebrities. Sometimes it is not a big deal, but sometimes people can say some really nasty things about you and it can have a negative affect on your life, your future, and your family."

Hi guys! I found the sentences above on a website. I Googled "affect" and it is a verb, not a noun. Why did the writer use it as a noun in this situation?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A negative affect

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:59 am

A typo, most likely, where the writer had intended to write 'effect'.

Almost everyone makes them now and again (I certainly do). :)

Actually, there is also a noun 'affect', a term used mostly by psychologists and psychotherapists that means 'mood' or 'state of mind'.

Unlike with the verb 'affect', the stress in the noun 'affect' falls on the A:

AFF-ect (noun) instead of a-FFECT (verb).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Erik : Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I get affect and effect mixed up all the time. Sometimes, it's easy: "affectation" is never confused with "effectation", which I don't believe is even a word. Is there a mnemonic that helps to keep the two straight (like "I before E, except after C, and when sounded like A as in neighbor and weigh").

And, by the way, I know we've talked about this before.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:05 pm

The Action is Affect, the End result is Effect, unless it sound like an "A" as in neighbour and weigh...oops, scrap that last part.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Oh, hey -- that's very helpful, trolley. It's probably been around forever, and I'm just now hearing it. (Except, of course, when I heard it the last time we talked about this!)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:17 am

Everything is new again!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC