encouraged more

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

encouraged more

Post by navi » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:16 am

Are both correct:
1) He was encouraged by what his coach told him. He was more encouraged by his own recent performance.
2) He was encouraged by what his coach told him. He was encouraged more by his own recent performance.

In which case:
a) He was encouraged by his recent performance more than he was encouraged by what his coach told him
and in which case:
b) He was encouraged some more by his own recent performance. He was encouraged by his coach and received additional encouragement by seeing his own performance.

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: encouraged more

Post by Phil White » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am

Interesting.
I read both in the same way, namely that the encouragement from his recent performance was greater than the encouragement from the words of his coach. The second variant seems to be stronger than the first.

I think most speakers would use something line "further encouraged" or "additionally encouraged" for your alternative meaning.
If either of the variants with "more" bear the meaning "further encouraged", I guess it would be the variant "encouraged more", but I don't think that is the way most people would read it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC