with

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

with

Post by navi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:25 am

Which are correct:

1) He was limping with a sprained ankle.
2) He was limping, with a sprained ankle.

3) I noticed that he was hurt with a sprained ankle.
4) I noticed that he was hurt, with a sprained ankle.

Does the 'with' imply causality in those sentences?

Gratefully,
Navi
Post actions:

Re: with

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:30 am

To my mind, 1 and 3 imply causality, whereas 2 and (especially) 4 provide more detail regarding the nature of the ailment but do not necessarily imply causality (thought they do not exclude it either). The comma in each of 2 and 4 makes the clause that follows it parenthetical.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Frankly, the "with" sounds odd to me, with or without the comma.
I would probably use "from": "He was limping from a sprained ankle". This always implies causality. The comma would merely make it parenthetical, as Erik says.
I would use "with" in a sentence like "He was in hospital/at home/in bed with a sprained ankle".

In your second pair of sentences, I find that both "with" and "from" sound strange. I don't think I would use a formulation of this type at all with "hurt". I would probably just say "he had sprained his ankle".
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm

He was limping, having sprained his ankle.
The original sentences bring images of him limping arm-in-arm with a sprained ankle.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 pm

In all those I agree with gdwdwrkr "with" does not sound right. I would always split them from "He was limping with a sprained ankle" into "He was limping. He had a sprained ankle". I might possibly use "He was limping because of a sprained ankle".

The only occasion, that comes to mind for using "with" is "He was taken to hospital with a sprained ankle" .
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

End of topic.