Swings

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Swings

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:00 pm

https://www.alfresia.co.uk/wooden-swing ... anopy.html

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/315885361348716571/

Hi everyone! Is the thing the kid sits on also called "a swing"? I ask because the chair in the second picture is different from the one in the first picture?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Swings

Post by BonnieL » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:29 pm

I'd call the one in the bottom picture a baby swing, but there may be another name for it that I'm not aware of.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Steve
There are specific names for different types of these things but I would say that any seat or platform suspended by rope, chain or wire (intended to move back and froth) is a swing. In fact, they don't even need a seat to qualify. A simple rope suspended from a fixed point that you could hang onto and move forward and backward is a swing.(rope swing or, as we called it as children, a Tarzan swing). The verb "swing" means move or cause to move back and forth or from side to side while suspended or on an axis. I think the noun "swing" is anything that swings while someone or something is at the opposite end of the fixed point.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 pm

I would call the swing in the top photo a canopy swing, covered swing or patio swing, and the one at the bottom a child swing, toddler swing, or (on the basis of its particular design features) bucket swing.

A porch swing is similar to a patio swing, except that it usually lacks a canopy.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 pm

I would call the top one a bench swing, the lower one a baby swing.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 am

We have a bench swing that is 2 benches facing each other. Is there a special name for that?
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am

BonnieL, trolley, Erik and tony h : Thank you all very very much for the terms. They are incredibly useful.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

End of topic.