Paper thing with a handle

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Paper thing with a handle

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call the whole paper thing "liar, liar, pants on fire" with a handle?

https://www.businessinsider.com/kavanau ... ay-2018-10

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Paper thing with a handle

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:18 pm

I would call it a banner or a placard.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Bob's suggestions are probably also the most common terms for such an item. But it would not be wrong either to call it simply 'a hand-held sign'.

Note that you could also add the adjective 'protest' before all of these descriptors (a hand-held protest sign, a protest banner, etc.).
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:26 am

Bob : Thanks so much for the terms. Erik: Thanks a lot for your versions. In your examples "a protest banner" and "a protest sign", they are compound nouns, and "protest" is not an adjective, is it correct? No offense, I hope you don't get me wrong. I'm just curious.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 am

The word protest, like metal or any number of other words, can function both as an adjective and as a noun. Protest can also be a verb. (Metal can be a verb too, but mostly in rather specialized contexts connected with manufacturing and road-building.)

Here, we have a case where 'banner' is the noun and 'protest' is an adjective which describes the banner (the basic meaning of 'a protest banner' being 'a banner that is being used to protest against something').

So whether protest is a noun or an adjective depends on the context in which it is being used.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 am

Erik: Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. It's really helpful.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

End of topic.