Trousers

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Trousers

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi guys! Can I describe the kid's trousers as "a pair of trousers with ripped bottoms"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Trousers

Post by trolley » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Those are "chaps" (pronounced "shaps"). They are thick leather leg coverings, worn over trousers. They protect a horse-riders legs when riding through thick under-brush or to protect from injuries when roping cattle or horses. They are a pretty common part of a cowboy's attire and are often seen in western movies or at rodeos.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 pm

trolley wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:56 pm
Those are "chaps" (pronounced "shaps").
Depends on where you are. I've only heard them pronounced like the person or chapped lips.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm

The treatment given to the lower part of the chaps (which usually cover only the front part of the leg — something that is not obvious from the photo you have included here) is known as a fringe. They are intentional cuts, not accidental rips.

So you could describe the chaps as being fringed at the bottom or having a fringe at the bottom.

I would suppose that the fringe is not merely decorative, but has the practical purpose of helping the chaps to conform to the shape of the wearer's leg or footwear. Without the fringe, I suspect the chaps would also be more likely to catch or snag on things like the eyelets of the wearer's boots or their horse's stirrups, harness or other tack.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 pm
trolley wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:56 pm
Those are "chaps" (pronounced "shaps").
Depends on where you are. I've only heard them pronounced like the person or chapped lips.
I always pronounced it as "ch" too but it seems I would often be corrected by someone "in the know". All the "horsey" people I know pronounce it with the "sh" sound. The word comes from the Spanish word "chaparro" which is a dwarf oak bush and the Spanish pronunciation sounds like Shaparro.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm

I would like to thank you all very very much.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC