Bathroom device

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bathroom device

Post by Stevenloan » Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 am

Hi everybody! What do you call this bathroom device? It's used to push water away to make the bathroom floor less wet.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Bathroom device

Post by trolley » Fri May 11, 2018 9:21 pm

It's called a squeegee.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri May 11, 2018 11:29 pm

From Wikipedia which is sometimes correct.
The earliest quotations mentioning squeegees in the Oxford English Dictionary refer to their use in cleaning decks on board ship: in 1844 a "squee gee" in an American book, in 1851 a "leathern squilgee" in Moby-Dick, and in 1867 in a British book by Admiral William Henry Smyth. Additionally, Richard Henry Dana’s 1840 memoir Two Years Before the Mast mentions “squilgeeing” in Chapter XIV.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Sun May 13, 2018 4:26 am

trolley and Bob: Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi Steve. I see your thirst for English words has not died. I would add that squeegees come in a lot of sizes. Some are for personal use and then those for industrial use. Some have a brush attached so that you can clean the surface and then wipe off the water. A controversial use is people who accost you when you stop in your car at traffic lights and offer to clean your windscreen. This is illegal in many places but it seems that they still do it. Image

Woz in Aus
I'll clean the floor with you.
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm

WoZ: Thanks very much for your input and the picture.
Post actions:

End of topic.