which...? vs. what...?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

which...? vs. what...?

Post by azz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:55 am

Can one say
a. What are some examples of books that are extremely tedious?
b. Which are some examples of books that are extremely tedious?

?

I guess if one is asking a general question then one should use (a). I don't think (b) works in that context.

If the question is being asked about a limited selection of books (Which of these books....) then one should use 'which' but I am not sure (b) works even in this context.

c. Here is a list of fifty books you have read. Tell me which are some examples of books that are extremely tedious?

Is (c) acceptable?
Is it grammatical?
Is it natural?

I think here one should say

d. Here is a list of fifty books you have read. Tell me which are are extremely tedious?

or:
e. Here is a list of fifty books you have read. Tell me which are examples of books that are extremely tedious?

Many thanks.
Post actions:

Re: which...? vs. what...?

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:29 am

Azz, I searched to see if the What versus Which question had ever been discussed, and couldn't find anything. It's hard to believe this has not been addressed already. Anyway . . .

My take on your examples is:
a. yes, "what" is correct here.
b. no, "which" does not work. (So yes, you're right in thinking it doesn't work in the context.)
c. yes, it is acceptable and, I suppose, grammatical, but not natural -- too many words.
d. yes, one could say this, but I would say "Please" tell me which are (drop the second "are") extremely tedious. No question mark: your sentence is phrased as a command (the imperative, maybe?) not a question.

I'm not one of the experts here, though, Azz -- I just know how I do it. Maybe the pro's will weigh in.
Post actions:

End of topic.