What the Dickens.

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

What the Dickens.

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm

I knew that the Charles Dickens classic story "A Tale of Two Cities" was published originally as a serial, but I didn't know that it first saw the light of day, not in a literary magazine, but in two local newspapers. Apparently it was the Bicester Times, it was the Worcester Times.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: What the Dickens.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 am

Very good, Bob. :D
Post actions:

Post by Ciara12 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 am

Like the Dickens Meaning A lot; as in 'hurts just like the dickens'. Origin Nothing to do with Charles Dickens. Dickens is a euphemism for the phrase satan, potentially through devilkins. Shakespeare used it in 'the Merry Wives of Windsor: 'I can not inform what the dickens his title is my husband had him of.'
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Ciara12 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 am
Like the Dickens Meaning A lot; as in 'hurts just like the dickens'. Origin Nothing to do with Charles Dickens. Dickens is a euphemism for the phrase satan, potentially through devilkins. Shakespeare used it in 'the Merry Wives of Windsor: 'I can not inform what the dickens his title is my husband had him of.'
Welcome to the group.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

End of topic.