A trash room?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A trash room?

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:58 am

Hi there! What do you guys call a room in a workshop or a factory which is used to store or contain rubbish?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A trash room?

Post by trolley » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:30 pm

Again, it depends on where you are, Steve. Here, it would likely be called a "garbage room". If you called it a trash room or a refuse room or a rubbish room, people would still know what you meant. Having said that, those words may have more specific meanings. Where I live, waste is most commonly referred to in three different ways; garbage, recyclables, or compostables. You would rarely here the word rubbish here and I get the sense that, in the US, they call the "wet stuff" garbage and the dry stuff (paper, etc) trash. I'm pretty sure that dust is way down on the list of things you would find in a UK "dustbin".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Steven,

That depends what you mean by "rubbish".
If you mean ordinary refuse that will be collected and disposed of on a regular basis, this would normally be kept in bins, and we would probably call it a "bin room" or "bin store". My mother lives in a block of flats, and the bins for all the flats are kept in one room. People refer to that simply as "the rubbish": "Take that down to the rubbish for me, would you."

"Trash" is not generally used in the UK. We use "rubbish" or, more formally, "refuse".

If you mean things like metal waste from machining operations, it may be called a "scrap room" or "scrap store". Such scrap would usually be sold on to a recycling company, so it may be called a "recycling store".

If you mean the sort of room that many companies and private households have in which things that are no longer needed are collected "because they may come in useful", but in fact they are never used again, this is a "junk room". I have one in my house and have just started clearing it out. 5 old computers, 3 old screens, 2 printers, a folding bed, an old carpet.... This is definitely "junk".

Other than "junk room", which everybody in the UK says, I don't know of a specific word to cover what you described. My suggestions above are just what I think I might use.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Junk room here, too. Everyone I know has at least 1 junk drawer in the kitchen and, if the house is big enough, a junk closet or room. Sometimes the back porch.

A closet used for junk storage is sometimes called Fibber McGee's closet from the old radio show.

I haven't worked in a factory setting for a long time, but I can't recall any room dedicated to either garbage or the storage of stuff too good to throw away but not good enough to use. Trash was emptied into an outside dumpster at the end of the day.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:33 pm

In one factory they call it waste.

So the waste storage facility is :
- pallets and wooden packaging outside
- cardboard in a container outside
- Scrap metals (unformed) into bins
- formed metals and component parts for security clearance

So you: take things to (or down) the waste, put things in the waste, go to the waste.

You don't have a Waste-room. Even though it is a room.

And on the building plan it is the "waste storage facility".

Oh, and a comment on Phil's excellent description. "Refuse" in this instance is said: ref-use not re-fuse which is quite different but I won't tell you what.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Yes, that matches what I said about "the rubbish" in my mother's flats. I would tend to agree. We wouldn't call it a room, even if it is...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Out of pure interest I offer this piece of totally useless information.

I retired a couple of years ago as a manager in a council department that dealt with rubbish. When we had to write the word 'Refuse' was always spelt with a capital letter in case someone had to write, "The residents always refuse Refuse" or similar.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Bobinwales wrote:... a council department that dealt with rubbish...
The word "tautology" just flashed unbidden through my mind.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Cruel, Phil. Cruel!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:40 am

Phil you aren't going to throw out 5 old computers, 3 old screens, 2 printers, a folding bed, an old carpet.... SHOCK, HORROR!! You may need them.

WoZ the bower bird
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:57 am

Thank you all very very much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC