Humorous comparisons

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Humorous comparisons

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:45 am

Yes. It is very obvious that the software developers are intent on maintaining 'Control Plus' over their computer-challenged 'Control Minus' user base. ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Humorous comparisons

Post by Berale » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks for all these tips, but I've just been using the menu at the top of my screen in Firefox: View, Text Size, Increase. No problem.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Meirav
http://meirav.multiply.com

Humorous comparisons

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:05 pm

No one says you have to take the shortcuts.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Humorous comparisons

Post by Berale » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:06 pm

No, especially not in the dark.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Meirav
http://meirav.multiply.com

Re: Humorous comparisons

Post by Thifiell » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:05 am

I am learning English and this is very hard to find such expressions for me. From one computer game I met such as (sorry, not very polite)
Hard as a bull's bollocks.
Also such pharses, maybe usual for English
Sure as you stand before me.
Lice eat me! (when surprised)
Stuck in the middle like a candle up the arse.

Also I am searching meaningless expressions like "lice eat me!" and not usual funny proverbs, maybe modern one
here
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/proverbs.html
a bit boring ones for example, not interesting
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 pm

<“‘Byrant toured tirelessly until the 1990s, when a heart attack forced her to give up the horn. In her later years, her only income was Social Security checks. ‘I’m sitting here broke as the Ten Commandments,’ she said, ‘but I’m still rich. With love and friendship and music.’” — The Week, 11 October, 2019, page 39>
I came across this humorous and now dated comparison in the obituary column for “jazz trumpet virtuoso” Clora Bryant (1927-2019) where it is a pun on “broke’s” dual senses of ‘having no money’ (broke) and ‘broken’ (split into pieces). The humorous reference to the Bible’s ‘Ten Commandments’ rests on the fact that they are so often ‘broke’ or ‘broken’ in the sense of ‘having been violated’ by 'sinners.' Or it could also refer to the Bible’s contention that Moses smashed, broke into pieces, the stone tablets on which the Ten Commandments were written (King James Version of the Bible, Exodus 32:19) – they were then for sure broken or ‘broke.’

Ken Greenwald – October 11, 2019
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:16 am

"and behold, God's fifteen"...Smash!!..."ten commandments!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC