over thirty

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

over thirty

Post by navi » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:41 am

Are both these sentences correct:

1) Three over-thirty women ran the shop.
2) Three women over thirty ran the shop.

Is the hyphen in '1' necessary?

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: over thirty

Post by Phil White » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm

The hyphen is necessary, at least in my mind.
Both constructions are common, but I find sentence 1 very ugly indeed. Perhaps it is just the collocation "over-thirty women" that jars. I am not sure one would say that of men.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Collocation is a new word for this over-thirty (way over thirty!) woman - I had to look it up.

Navi - it's not just the collocation, but "over thirty" doesn't really say much. I'm over thirty by more than thirty years. I suspect what you want to say is that the shop is run by three women who are in their thirties.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:52 am

I have restricted my examples to the core element of "three women over thirty".

The Kissmet brand now has grown 15% in the last year and now has twenty two shops. The Kissmet brand is targeted at teens and twenty somethings with front of house staff traditionally reflecting that demographic. For the last four years the most successful store has been Barchester where three women over thirty ran the shop with the oldest being fifty two.

-------------------

The ballroom dancing can have a maximum of 60 couples, a restriction of our insurance. We have exactly thirty men applying but we have three women over thirty applying.

---------------

"The fire escape shute has a maximum weight limit of 420 pounds. That should be ok." "Actually we have three women over thirty stone
".
Last edited by tony h on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:24 pm

The cheerleading-team's pyramid was ridiculously broad-based, with three women over thirty.
(Not to offend any broads.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 pm

"Within half an hour of setting up the mobile speed trap we had five men and three women over thirty.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC