Trees

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Trees

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 am

Hi everybody! Is it correct to say "I like to grow trees that climb and hold on to walls outside the house" in the following link?

http://afamily.vn/3-cach-phong-chong-th ... 916392.chn

Your answers will be greatly appreciate it.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Trees

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 pm

Those are vines or creepers. This particular creeper is probably ivy.

So, "I like to grow {vines/ivy} up my walls". If you don't specify that you like to grow grapevines, most people will assume you mean vines in general.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm

I would choose the most generic term, namely "creepers" or "climbers". Having said that, "creepers" also refers to plants that will spread across the ground and may or may not climb at all. (This behaviour is often indicated by the word "repens" in the botanical name.)

I have a sense that there is a difference between UK and US usage of the word "vine". In the UK, it is very strongly associated with the grape vine, and I disagree with Erik. I think most Brits would assume "vine" to be a grape vine without any other context. I would never refer to ivy or Virginia Creeper as a "vine".
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 am

Erik and Phil White : Thank you two so much for the very detailed answer. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.