Possessive of city/state & full date at beginning of sentence

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Possessive of city/state & full date at beginning of sentence

Post by ljaxon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:45 am

Hello,

Do we put a comma after “Connecticut’s”, “France’s” and “2001’s” below? Or leave as is, without the comma in each (as shown below)? I cannot find a rule on this anywhere on the net.

No recasts, please.

Hartford, Connecticut’s crime rate has doubled in the last decade.

Paris, France’s sights are breathtaking.

September 11, 2001’s tragic events are indelibly etched in the minds of everyone.

Thanks for any guidance.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Possessive of city/state & full date at beginning of sentence

Post by ljaxon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:07 pm

These are in directly quoted material.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:55 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:33 pm

So are we a point of last resort?

In the same way That I would write "the tall, ginger, woman's feet were covered in custard", or "John, Paul, George and Ringo's first played at the Cavern", I would write "Paris, France's sights ...".

But it has made me wonder whether "St. Alban's's night life drew people from afar afield as Chiswell Green".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 am

I didn't realise that St. Alban had been leading such a notoriously dissolute lifestyle that even Chiswell Greensfolk might feel obliged to observe it with their own eyes.

If they were from North Mymms or Colney Heath, I could understand it better.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Coming from the UK as I do, I would write, "Paris (France)". We do not as a rule follow the place-name with the country. If the town is a bit obscure I might use "Lorient in Brittany", but this would require a sentence structure that would avoid the use of an apostrophe; but I would probably do that anyway. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Ok Bob, how would you handle this?

It was another of those "Oh dear" moments, just before the Christmas festivities, as two relatively scantily clad holidaymakers got off the plane in Canada one wearing a hat with corks hanging from the brim. Another case of confusion at booking between Sydney, Australia and Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.

The card had been franked in several places: Perth, Scotland; then in America in Perth, New York; before finally arriving with Mrs. Perth, New York, Lincolnshire, England.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Quite simply. A written address is precisely that and commas would be correct, but if I were to talk about Sydney, I would be more likely to say, "Sydney in Australia"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm

On a related subject, one of my pet peeves is newspaper datelines that give the name of a city, but not the state or country. When all newspapers were on paper, it didn't matter all that much, because you knew where the newspaper came from. But now, with everything online, it's harder to figure out. A paper called "The Statesman" might be from Austin TX or Calcutta, India - or it might be the weekly from my small town.

A dateline that reads "Portland" & nothing else might be Oregon or Maine, "Washington" might be D.C. or my home state. It can be difficult to figure out from the context where the newsworthy event occurred.

End of rant.

A rant for another day - why is Washington the only state that has to have a last name? I've so often seen it referred to as Washington State. :(
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm
A rant for another day - why is Washington the only state that has to have a last name? I've so often seen it referred to as Washington State. :(
To distinguish it from Washington DC?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Bob's right. Otherwise there would be endless confusion as to which location was being referred to.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Bobinwales wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 pm
BonnieL wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm
To distinguish it from Washington DC?
But D.C., for District of Columbia, is part of the official name of our capitol. If that were used, no one would need to add "state" - which isn't a part of the official name - to Washington.

Tho I read that D.C. started using that designation on driver licenses, but TSA people didn't know that it was in the US. So they're going back to Washington. :(
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC