Secrets

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Secrets

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:26 am

Hi everybody! What do you call a person when you tell him or her secrets but he or she cannot keep the secrets and tells other people?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Secrets

Post by trolley » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:14 am

Good question, Steve. There’s lots of words and expressions that describe that “general” type of person (Google “tattle tale” or “gossip monger” or “Judas”) but I can’t think of any that are specific to betraying your secrets. Every one that I can think of seems to mean a little more than just that.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:31 pm

I would call them a gossip. At school, where there was a penchant for Latinate phrases, they would be called a quidnunc. A good word but, I suspect, not well known these days.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Blabbermouth, busybody, fink (or ratfink), or double crosser (if he promised to keep your secrets). If you're a criminal or in jail there are other words such as informer and canary.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:44 am

trolley, tony h and BonnieL : Thank you all very very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC