A foot long

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A foot long

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 pm

"Subway is staring down at a menu of scary problems that’s way more than a foot long. The struggling sandwich chain has seen customer traffic plummet a whopping 25 percent over the past five years amid fierce price competition and a slew of scandals that have battered its image, The Post has learned."

Hi everybody! I guess "scary problems that's way more than a foot long" in this short paragraph means "too many scary problems". Am I correct?

Your answers would be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A foot long

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm

You've correctly understood part of what the headline writer was intending to convey, but I can see why this wording might be confusing to a non-native speaker.

A footlong is Subway's name for one of its offerings, a kind of sandwich whose length is literally about a foot (12 inches / circa 30 cm.). The headline is punning on the twin connotations of 'way more than a footlong' (meaning 'much more than a mere sandwich') and 'way more than a foot long' (meaning 'much longer/bigger than 12 inches').
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Building on Erik's excellent reply I wonder whether, with Subway advertising the "footlong" as being "a sandwich being much longer than that offered by their competitors" the phrase is intended to imply "this is a market sector all of which has problems but Subway's problems are more extensive than that of its competitors".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:24 am

Erik and tony h : Thank you guys very very much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC