A baby

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A baby

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi everybody! What do you call a baby that is born when his or her parents don't have a legal marriage license?

Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: A baby

Post by BonnieL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:32 pm

A baby. I had an elderly aunt who called all babies "blessed events." :D

In the past the baby might have been called illegitimate, a bastard, or born on the wrong side of the blanket.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:13 pm

As Bonnie says, in this day and age we call them "babies". If I had to label the little mite, I would say "illegitimate".
I have to point out that "parents don't have a legal marriage license" is simply wrong. We would say "the parents are not married".
In Britain a licence (note the UK spelling) to marry is not necessary and after the job it done we are given a Marriage Certificate.
Hopefully to clarify the licence/license thing. In the UK 'license' is a verb and the noun is 'licence'. In the USA both are license.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm

"Born out of wedlock" avoids the pejorative connotations of the earlier suggestions.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:00 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:32 pm
A baby. I had an elderly aunt who called all babies "blessed events." :D

In the past the baby might have been called illegitimate, a bastard, or born on the wrong side of the blanket.
It does also depend on whether one or other or both the parents were married to other people at the time. There are many families where the parents are not married but are bringing up children. In my youth this would have been socially unacceptable to many people but now is unremarkable. The children in such a non-marriage-relationship would not be labelled in any particular way.

Illegitimate and bastard, although technically correct, are unlikely to get much usage except in formal inheritance processes.

PS many years ago I was with a friend at a bank with various forms he had completed. The clerk was checking them and remarked "could you tell me your parents' names?" "No." "Why not?" asked the clerk. "Because I am a bastard". It took a bit of explaining.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by BonnieL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:24 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm
"Born out of wedlock" avoids the pejorative connotations of the earlier suggestions.
I knew there was one I was forgetting! Dang, I hate this business of getting older - the memory gets more muddled all the time. :(
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm
love child.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:27 pm

So it's not just Bonnie... :)
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you guys very very much,
Post actions:

End of topic.