Making a dig at

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Making a dig at

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:10 pm

My classmate: What brings you back to the student life?
Me: Excuse me! Are you making a dig at the fact I am a lot older than most people here?

Hi you guys! Here is the situation: Although I am almost 40 years old, I still come back to study at a college. My female classmate who is so much younger than me and sits next to me asks me the question above. What I mean by "Are you making a dig at the fact I am a lot older than most people here?" is I would like to ask her if she's trying to insult me with her question. Is my question correct here?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Making a dig at

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:12 pm

My classmate: What brings you back to the student life? [Implied: You're clearly older than the average student here, and I assume you were also previously a student. Why have you come back?]

Me: Excuse me! Are you making a dig at the fact I am a lot older than most people here? [= You're being rude! Are you making fun of the fact that I'm older than most of the other students?]
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 pm

You'd be more likely to hear "taking a dig at...", around here. It means the same thing as Erik (and you) have suggested. Alternatives could be taking a poke, taking a jab, taking a swing. It's often meant as a somewhat less than serious slur. Not a "real" insult, but more like something you'd say to a friend if you were ribbing him.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Erik and trolley: Thanks you two so so much.
Post actions:

End of topic.