restrictive/non-restrictive

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

restrictive/non-restrictive

Post by navi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 am

1) The only thing that was left in the house was a piano too heavy to be carried by one person.
2) The only thing that was left in the house was a piano, too heavy to be carried by one person.

3) The only thing that was left in the house was the piano too heavy to be carried by one person.
4) The only thing that was left in the house was the piano, too heavy to be carried by one person.

Which of these can be used if there was only one piano in the house to start with?

Gratefully,
Navi.
Post actions:

Re: restrictive/non-restrictive

Post by trolley » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 pm

I think they could all be used if there was only one piano but only #4 excludes the possibility of multiple pianos.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 pm

trolley wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 pm
I think they could all be used if there was only one piano but only #4 excludes the possibility of multiple pianos.
trolley I take that as a challenge so here goes ...

Mr and Mrs T drove through the gates and started down the drive they glanced at the house that had been their home for the last ten years but now, his father having died six months ago, it was the day they were moving into the manor. The ancestral home of Mr. T for over six hundred years.

As they reached the manor they could see John, the removals man, was still busy with unloading the van.
"All done John?", asked Mrs T, " how are the children?" With the prospect of chitchat Mr.T started to look around.

John and Mrs T were having a cup of tea when Mr T returned. "Where's the Schiedmayer & Soehne", he said to no one in particular.
"the what?" said John.

"The piano from the bedroom", Mrs. T smiled, "I thought you have moved everything?"

"Well nearly everything. We got the piano from the drawing room as we could wheel that one, and the little one in the parlour. It was just the upstairs one that caused a problem because Tom had to collect from school and had to go. But I got pretty much everything done. The only thing that was left in the house was the piano, too heavy to be carried by one person. And we will get that done tomorrow."

"Well we think you have done amazingly. Don't we Mr. T?"
"Oh yes. Absolutely.

How's that?
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by trolley » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 am

Somehow, that comma is getting in my way.
The only thing that was left in the house was the (singular) piano, (because it was) too heavy to be carried by one person.

The only thing that was left in the house was the piano too heavy to be carried by one person (as opposed to the other piano that could have been and was carried by a five year old girl)
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 pm

The real Mr. T could have carried all the pianos at once! :D
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 pm

The only thing that was left in the house was the piano and that was too heavy to be carried by one person.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.