any ideas on the difference betwwen paint kettles and paint scuttles?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

any ideas on the difference betwwen paint kettles and paint scuttles?

Post by tony h » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:49 pm

It is odd when words one uses without thinking suddenly demand to be noticed. Today I bought a paint kettle, a one pint kettle, and a paint scuttle, a much larger affair for use with a roller.

I asked for the items, and as I waited, as I had done so on so many previous occasions, the question came about what is the difference between a kettle and a scuttle?
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: any ideas on the difference betwwen paint kettles and paint scuttles?

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:00 pm

If demonstrators are kettled, they are scuttled.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 pm

I had to look up those. Here, it's a paint bucket & tray (but if very large it might be another bucket). Kettles are to cook in & scuttle is either for coal (we use an old one for ashes from our wood stove) or what a crab does. Or to kill something - like a project.

No wonder Americans get so lost in England! :D
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Quite so, Bonnie.

I was familiar with "paint kettle" (and, surprisingly, so was my 89-year-old [I'm nearly 90, you know] mother). But "paint scuttle"? 'Fraid not.

Clearly it's used, as you can get them from most DIY stores. As far as I see it, a paint kettle allows you to carry only a small amount of a tin of paint up a ladder, for instance, and there is less mess if the kettle comes off the ladder hook. Also, there is less risk of getting too much paint on the brush. It's all about carrying less paint around than you would have in a tin.

The idea of a scuttle seems to be almost the opposite. It allows you to lug around large quantities of paint in a container that is ideal for large brushes (whitewash brushes, for instance). It is difficult to use large brushes in regular tins or tubs of paint. I can't imagine that scuttles would usually be used for rollers. You really need a tray for that.

Either way, both terms are odd because, as Bonnie says, scuttles are for coal and kettles for boiling water.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.